Introduction to Communications
In 2003, the United Steelworkers (USW) Communications staff and United Steelworkers Press Association (USPA) Executives conducted the first "Introduction to Communications" course in various districts. It is designed for presentation to large groups at district functions, such as summer schools or district conferences. The course has participants take an objective look at the way they presently communicate, and offers them alternative ways to increase communications at the local level.
The course objectives are:
- To examine the ways and means that participants presently communicate with their members;
- To decide impartially if participants are delivering the communication needs to their members;
- To look at the advantages and disadvantages of communication, and cost effective ways to communicate;
- To receive some basic, hands-on instruction tips in writing, editing, layout and design;
- To understand the tools and resources available to help local activists produce better communications (doing research, surveying members, technology, etc.).